Injectables are a simple and effective way to smooth, plump and contour your skin. Juvéderm is one of the most recognizable names in dermal fillers and the preferred choice for many patients. If you’re considering Juvéderm fillers, it’s essential to understand how the treatment works, the benefits and how long the results last.
What is Juvéderm, and What is it Used For?
Juvéderm is a collection of dermal fillers designed to lift, smooth and plump the skin. The collection includes five products, and you can achieve many effects with these fillers.
Juvéderm fillers are made with hyaluronic acid (HA), which is found naturally in the skin. HA is an excellent moisturizer and can hold up to 1,000 times its weight in water. In addition, the hydrating effects of HA help plump and smooth the skin to give you a more youthful, supple look.
HA fillers like Juvéderm are used to:
- Smooth wrinkles and fine lines
- Add volume
- Enhance contours
- Stimulate collagen production
- Improve elasticity
- Increase firmness
Over time, these fillers are absorbed by the body. Juvéderm uses a special type of HA, called cross-linked hyaluronic acid, which takes longer to absorb and provides long-lasting results.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved Juvéderm fillers for the following purposes:
- Lip plumping and smoothing
- Adding volume and definition to the cheek and chin
- Smoothing and softening lines around the nose and mouth
How Does Juvéderm Work?
Juvéderm treatments are simple and straightforward. The first step is to determine which filler will help you achieve the look that you want.
The treatment starts with a thorough cleaning of your skin. Once your skin has been prepped, the injections will start. Here’s what you need to know:
- Fillers are injected slowly to avoid overfilling.
- Juvéderm’s filler formula contains lidocaine, which numbs the area. You may feel some discomfort, but you should not feel pain.
- Once injected, the area will be massaged to distribute the filler better.
- You may receive more than one injection in an area to ensure even distribution.
If you’re concerned about pain or discomfort, you can request numbing cream or ice packs to numb the area further before the procedure starts.
Once the treatment is complete, you should see results right away. You may experience some swelling or bruising, but your skin should look plumper and smoother before you walk out of the office.
In a week or two, after the swelling goes down, you should see your final results.
There’s no downtime with Juvéderm injections.
How Long Do the Results Last?
Most of Juvéderm’s fillers last up to a year, but some products produce results that last 18 months to two years.
How long the results last will depend on:
- How quickly your body absorbs the product
- How much filler is used
- The Juvéderm product used
If you have a fast metabolism, your body may absorb the filler more quickly. However, many patients find that the results last longer with each round of injections.
The Pros and Cons of Juvéderm
- Juvéderm contains hyaluronic acid, which is naturally found in the body.
- Fillers contain numbing lidocaine, which minimizes pain and discomfort.
- If you don’t like the results, the filler can be dissolved.
- The results aren’t permanent.
- There’s a risk of lumps and bumps if the product isn’t applied correctly.
- Not suitable for sagging skin.
Juvéderm fillers are a great option if you want to plump or smooth your skin. While the results aren’t permanent, the procedure is quick and straightforward, with minimal side effects.